Summer Winter School: An introduction to building energy simulation at the urban scale
Dec 02 - Dec 07
00:00 AM - 23:59 PM
This winter school exposed the students to the concepts of building physics, energy efficiency and concept of Urban scale energy modelling. Students simulated energy models of a 1sqKm site in Ahmedabad and learnt about energy savings by implementing policies like Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC).
The students were engaged in the following activities:
- The course looked different software to be able to work with large data efficiently. Learning the following processes:
- Collecting city wide data to build up the model
- Geo-tag data in QGIS for each building
- Automate data processing through Python scripting
- Simulate the results through Energy Plus
- They performed a pilot study to understand the concept of UEM, conducting site surveys and collecting data on characteristics of the building stock.
- They analysed the energy performance of the selected area understanding the following aspects:
- Developing present day scenario – enrich the given dataset through site inspection & understanding sector wise (Residential, commercial etc) distribution of energy demand.
- Impact of Increase in FSI in the coming years on the energy performance of the selected site.
- Studying energy saving potential of strategies like using LED lights, adding external shading to the windows, better insulated building envelops and use of high efficiency HVAC systems.
Student’s feedback: The winter school provided a unique perspective towards Energy simulation at the Urban scale. The course was very helpful in linking Building energy concepts to the city scale and understand how Urban planning, policy formation and governance can be performance driven. The course enables the students to learn new tools like Python, GIS and Energyplus. The activities were planned very efficiently and involved the students to work in multidisciplinary teams and brainstorm on solving real world problems.
CEPT University, Ahmedabad- India,